Archaeological Museum José María Morante of the National University of San Agustín
Second floor of the hall of the Cultura de la Ciudad Universitaria, Avenida Indepencia.
Monday to Friday, 8:15 – 16:15.
Exhibits a wide range of valuable stone objects, skeletal remains and pre-hispanic ceramics which have been found during archaeological research funded by the university. In addition, the exhibition includes pieces of gold and silver from the colonial and republican periods.
Archaeological Museum of the Catholic University of Santa María
Address: Calle Cruz Verde 303, Arequipa.
Its chambers hoard more than a thousand objects from pre-Hispanic cultures, and other Andean peoples such as the Nazca, Tiahuanaco, Wari, Churajón, Acarí, Aruni and the Incas, as well as colonial items. Its large collection contains ceramics, textiles, funerary items, works of literature, and objects made from metal and wood. Some of the pieces date back to 1200 AD.
Andean Sanctuary Museum of the Catholic University of Santa María
Description: The main attraction of this museum is the Dama de Ampato (Lady of Ampato), the best preserved prehispanic mummy in the world. Widely known as Juanita, the mummy was discovered in September 1995 at the summit of the Ampato volcano (6,288 metres above sea level), by two researchers, Johan Reinard and José Antonio Chávez, and a climber called Miguel Zárate.
Being surrounded by many valuable gifts (ceramics and pieces of gold and silver), the researchers concluded that Juanita, a girl of 12-14 years, might have been sacrificed to honour the snow-topped volcano which was considered sacred, according to the world view of the Peruvians at the time. Studies show that the earliest offering was approximately in 1466, during the reign of Tupac Yapanqui.
It is thought that Juanita was a palla, ie. a woman in the service of the Sun and the Incas. Before being killed, she was fed a special diet of herbs and coca leaves, to get rid of the pain of death. On the day of the ceremony she was dressed in fine clothes and a beautiful feathered headdress.
After being studied and exhibited in many places around the world, Juanita was moved to the Andean Sanctuary Musem, which opened on the 26th of March, 1997, to show the world the findings of the Proyecto Santuarios de Altura del Sur Andino (South Andean Sanctuary Project), lead by the anthropologist Reinhard and the archaeologist Chávez.
Municipal Historical Museum “Guillermo Zegarra Meneses”
Address: Plaza San Francisco 407.
This museum’s halls contain objects from the fighting of the 2nd of May, 1866 (the last Spanish attempt to reclaim its former South American colonies), and from the revolution of Arequipa, an eventful l time in the history of the “Ciudad Blanca” (White City), which took place between June 1857 and March 1858.
Casa de Moral
Address: Calle Moral 318.
Located between Calle Moral and Bolívar, this house was built in the 18th century. It owes its name to the hundred year old blackberry bush that sits in its garden. The front of this noble house shows motifs from the Nasca culture.
The house is one that most represents baroque Arequipa. Carved into the front door are various figures in ashlar, with the heads of pumas and snakes in their mouths, and other heraldic motifs (crowns, shields, angels and castles). This abundance of ornamentation continues inside the house with an Iberian air, where the furniture becomes the focus of the luxurious decoration, while the carvings that decorate the doors and windows of the main rooms are an inspired complement.
An interesting addition is the collection of maps of America from the 16th century, which are exhibited in one of the rooms.
Casa de Tristán del Pozo
Address: Calle San Francisco 108
Description: Built in 1738, this house has a splendid door decorated with nails and a large iron latch. Inside the house, the vast and spacious courtyards are adorned with stone carvings, guarded by monstrous gargoyles with feline features.
The house of Tristán del Pozo is an example of the proverbial colonial constructions in the city and one of the most demonstrative of the “New Spanish” modern civil architecture of Arequipa.
In a baroque style, delicate monograms can be seen on the facades, with rosettes and flowers carved into the ashlar. The interior of the house is awe inspiring with its beautiful vaulted ceilings and elegant courtyards. The name of the house comes from its first owner, General Domingo Carlos Tristán del Pozo, but can also be known as Casa Ricketts or Casa Ugarteche. Actual ownership of the house belongs to a well known bank, who also own a Numismatic museum and an art gallery.
Address: Calle La Merced 201.
Phone: (054) 21-2251
Description: A stately building located in the street of La Merced, and rebuilt in the late eighteenth century. Boasting beautiful gardens and elaborate gates that represent the strong will of Arequipa. This colourful two-story house has an attractive facade with false Doric pillars and carved flowers, and a large balcony with wrought iron railings. Entering the building many elegant vaulted rooms with colonial doors and windows can be seen.
Another architectural detail worthy of highlight is its ashlar staircase in the shape of a snail that leads to the upper floor. At the heart of the main courtyard is an imposing fountain of black stone.
The history of Goyeneche Palace dates back to the mid sixteenth century, when Martín de Almazán ordered the building of the house. However, the dwelling could not withstand the earthquakes of 1582 and 1600, and another building was constructed in the same spot, owned by Andrés Herrera y Castilla. The repairs were completed by Gaspar Báez.
The house was expanded in 1734, but the earthquake of 1782 left it severely damaged. The then owner, Juan Crisóstomo de Goyeneche, ordered the necessary restorations. Subsequently, in 1840, the architect Lucas Poblete arranged a series of modifications that would give the palace the appearance that it now still has. In the present day, the centuries old mansion is owned by the Banco Central Reserva del Peru and its interior displays paintings from the Cusco School of Painting and sculptures from the Grenadine School of Painting.
Address: Found in the corner of the calles Santa Catalina and San Agustín.
Description: The walls of this house are the thickest in Arequipa and the pillars that support the front facade show the initials of the Jesuit order. It is unknown when construction on this house began, but it is known that the work was completed in 1793.
With elegant vaulted rooms and large courtyards, the house is owned by the Univerisdad Nacional de San Agustín de Arequipa (UNAS), and together with Casa Arróspide (another magnificent colonial construction) they form the Centro Cultural Chávez de la Rosa, where permanent displays of archaeology and regional history are exhibited. In addition there are also temporary art exhibitions.
This house is also nicknamed the “talking house” due to the massive amount of inscriptions that exist upon its walls. In one of the inscriptions one can read that the house was completed in 1743. It is owned by the Univerisdad Nacional de San Agustín de Arequipa and is part of the Centro Cultural Chávez de la Rosa, along with Casona Irriberry. Its colonial atmosphere has made it the perfect place for art exhibitions, including video presentations.